Thursday, July 24, 2008

speaking of sisters

one of the cd's i listened to while traveling was terri hendrix's cd called willory farm. i hadn't heard it in so long, i forgot how much i really like it. the last song is about her sister and it always, always makes me think of my sister, big lump in my throat style...thought i'd share the lyrics...

you were the left side and i the right
with a line down the middle so we wouldn't fight
two sisters sharing a room
with a desk in the middle of two twin beds i listened to every word you said
and when i couldn't face the world i faced you instead

chorus:
and i saw me
you pulled me through and i saw me
you pulled me through and i saw me
from your point of view

we twirled around in the breeze
the years turned faster than the leaves
the seasons stopped when you left home
i remember that first night
i was so scared i kept on the light
and i stood in a half empty room on the line we had drawn

chorus

life lifted me up and spun me around
and you never stopped to judge
you showed me the way through
was to do the best i could

did you know every holiday
when relatives mixed up our names
i'd always smile to myself and pretend that i was you
when you were around there were so many words i never knew how to say
i have to let you know i've said them all along the way

chorus

you were the left side and i the right
with a line down the middle so we wouldn't fight
two sisters....sharing a room....

my sister is younger than i am, but otherwise this song says almost exactly how i felt about her growing up and how i feel now when i look back. it is a unique gift to be able to pull someone through and let them see themselves the way you see them. i don't know that she does it consciously, but it has been one of the most important gifts of my life that someone has shared. as i've grown up, there are a few other women who've come in to my life that are able to deliver me from my sometimes warped vision of myself, and let me see from their gentler, kinder eyes...and i am grateful for those sisters, too.
peace

1 comment:

JO said...

Oooo, I love those lyrics. Never heard the song, but I'll have to get you to play it for me sometime.